Monday, September 30, 2013

Allagash Odyssey 2011

This is one I've been holding onto for a while. Brewed once a year, Allagash Odyssey was just a bit too odd and harsh-tasting when I had a fresh bottle in February 2011.  Not long afterwards it went on sale, so I bought one to age.  In the beer world, it's a bit of an oddity.  It's what a hybrid between a Belgian abbey quad, a stout, and a wheatwine might taste like; ingredients include Belgian yeast, wheat, and roasted barley.  It is partially aged in oak barrels as well.

I deliberately chose the fanciest glass I own just because, and split the bottle with two others.  Head formation and retention were excellent.




The primary aromas consist of plums, a hint of fig, a hint of coco and something similar to caramel.  The smell vaguely reminds me of Ovila Quad with plums, except this is brewed with roasted barley, so the hint of chocolate is actually expected. 

I think "balance" is probably the most all-encompassing word to sum up the flavor profile.  Initially there is a strong first impression of plums, but as the beer warms up (I took my time with this one) most of the flavors equalize so that no one item overpowers the rest.  Plums, dates, Belgian invert sugar, maybe some caramel and vanilla.  The barrel-aging is much more subtle now than when it was fresh.  I don't have my notes from 2011 on hand, but I distinctly recall the fresh bottle being fairly harsh---unpleasantly oaky and a bit too alcoholic.  None of that here.  Very smooth.

Balance carries over into the texture as well.  So this errs on the side of dryness, it isn't super dry or super sweet.  A nice balance.  I have a feeling the wheat and large carbonation contribute a lot to the sweetness.


As with most beers from Allagash, the price on this one varies considerably depending on where you get it.  Regardless of what you end up paying for it, sitting on it for two or more years is definitely worth the wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment