Friday, January 17, 2014

Kulmbacher EKU 28



Name:                 Kulmbacher EKU 28
Style:                   Doppelbock
Twist:                  None (just really strong)
Strength:            11% (!)


Notes: served in a snifter from an 11.2oz bottle with the indecipherable bottling date of “2329182.”

Nice carbonation on this one....


My first beer from this company is a bright red and surprisingly carbonated doppelbock.  The finely and tightly carbonated beer is nonetheless incapable of forming a sustained head, no doubt because of its strength.

“Liquid bread” as a description was practically invented for doppelbock.  It is a profoundly malty style, hearty without the oft-cloying sweetness of similarly malty styles like barleywine and imperial stout.  All beer is made from grains like barley and wheat, but of all the types of beers I have tried I would say doppelbock most closely resembles the flavors of the breads associated with it.  If its aroma is any indication, EKU 28 is no exception.  It is bready with a hint of toast and caramel, and possibly some alcohol.  I’m not much of a bread eater, so I’ll just say this reminds of me brown breads.

The taste of ethanol unfortunately plays a larger role than the mild aroma let on. It is not, however, a complete obstacle.  Ethanol-derived flavors of spices, heat, and rum add some balance to what  otherwise might be a very saccharine brew.  More brown bread, toasted bread, and some faint molasses let you know this is an actual imported bock, not a bad imitation.  I would prefer less toast, but mostly I would prefer less heat.  A faint apple-like flavor starts to creep out as this warms up.

Along with the alcohol heat, the carbonation keeps this from being cloying.  Actually, I’m tempted to say the carbonation and general texture of the beer are the high points.  Spritely carbonation is normally absent from a doppelbock.



Though this is considerably better than my least favorite doppelbocks, there are quite a few other doppelbocks I will reach for instead next time.  Interesting and could possibly improve with some age (to let the heat die down), but EKU 28 won’t be a regular purchase for me.  When it comes to stronger German bocks, Weihenstephaner Korbinian is still king in my book.


This was written as it was consumed on January 10, 2014.

No comments:

Post a Comment