Tuesday, October 2, 2012

A quick note on a weird beer

About two hours ago I got home from one of my favorite local restaurants, John's Tavern (formerly John's Buffet) in Winfield.  Local beer enthusiasts, take note: this is a great place to get limited releases from Goose Island, including Illinois-only tap beers.  Goose's newest tap-only beer is called Gran Gås, or "Spruce Goose" in Swedish.  It is a Belgian pale/golden/blonde ale brewed with Colorado spruce tips and Swedish lingonberries.  Believe it or not, this is not the first spruce beer I've had; that would be Alba.

Since I had this in a restaurant I can't really give this a thorough review.  In brief:

Look: copper-gold with a flimsy head.  Slightly cloudy.  The restaurant isn't bright enough for me to accurately tell how this looks.  To further compound matters, I'm also color blind.

Smell: I can smell my father's single malt Scotch across the table more than the beer in front of me.  Hints of spruce, maybe some pear (probably from Belgian yeast). 

Taste: huge blast of spruce, quickly followed by flavors of melons and pears.  I've never had lingonberries, so either they aren't very strong or taste a lot like tropical fruits.  Light kiss of hops add competing flavors of spice and grapefruit, so I guessed a combination of Chinook (spicy hops) and Cascade (grapefruit/citric hops).  Looking at their website now, it seems it was hopped with Centennial (otherwise known as "Super Cascade") and Chinook.  Hurray for palette accuracy.

Texture/Mouthfeel: semi-dry, semi-tart.  Quenching.  I had a second pour afterwards.


Very good, and also the most peculiar beer I've had in months.

No comments:

Post a Comment