Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Sam Adams Maple Pecan Porter


Warning: this review came into contact with nuts.   This was written in February, not seven in the morning today (I swear).  And if you can't tell yet, yes, I'm reviewing all the new beers in their "Spring Thaw" mix pack.


Name:                 SamAdams Maple Pecan Porter
Style:                   Porter/Stout
Twist:                  brewed with maple syrup and pecans
Strength:             5.6%




This beer pours an extremely dark brown, bordering on black, which turns to a murky but transparent crimson when held to the light.  The foam is tan-hued and settles to a small sudsy crown after not reaching much more than a half-finger in height.

The aroma is redolent of maple syrup at first whiff, though once you get past that it starts to smell more like a porter.  I’m detecting a flavor that reminds me of Edmund Fitzgerald and perhaps Blackout Stout, sort of a light unsweetened coco.  I do get some nuttiness, and I probably could pick it out if I drank it blind although I wouldn’t be able to specifically peg it as pecan.

This tastes a lot more like a standard porter than it smells, though that maple syrup is still unmistakable.  Roasted malts in the form of coffee flavor and coco start things off.  The middle is hops (earthy) and some sort of toasted flavor, probably malt.  Assuming they used actual pecans and not extract, I would assume they would have been sliced, spliced or shredded, not toasted.   The finish is all maple syrup and pecans, with a kiss of earthy hops that I initially mistook for pecan.  I can’t decide if it has more pecan flavor or more maple flavor.

According to their website, this is brewed with both carafe and Munich malts.  I can kind of see the Munich, though not much.

The mouthfeel is a bit drier than I expect in a porter.  Perhaps they were trying to make the maple sugar stand out on its without having to compete with barley sugar.




Interesting, surprisingly balanced for a flavored porter, and generally tasty.  I could do with more maple and less pecan, but otherwise a pretty enjoyable beer for porter lovers who also like maple and pecans.

No comments:

Post a Comment